Email migration can be performed in two ways. You can either utilize the cPanel interface or use the command line prompt. In this article we are going to take a look on how to perform the migration in cPanel in order to navigate this process.
Step 1: Backing up email directories
The first step in the email migration is to backup email directories present in the old server.
1) Login to cPanel interface for the account in question in the old server.
2) Open ‘File Manager’ under the section ‘Files’.
3) Go ‘Up One Level’ above public_html.
4) You can see the mail directory there. Enter into the directory.
5) Right click on the directory and click on the option available to compress the directory.
6) Now, download the compressed file to your computer.
Step 2: Restore email backups
1) Login to the cPanel interface of the new server.
2) Create the email accounts just as you did in the old server. You can create email accounts from the ‘Email Accounts’ section under the ‘Mail’ category.
3) Open ‘File Manager’ under the section ‘Files’.
4) Go ‘Up One Level’ above public_html and you can see the mail directory there. Enter into the directory.
5) Upload the email backup file to the directory.
6) Unzip the backup file and the delete the zip file.
7) Open Webmail and configure it to display the new email folders.